Village of Delta

Park History




Wildwood Park


Delta’s first park became a reality when in July of 1926 an option was taken on a seven acre piece of woodland known as the “Longnecker Grove”.  It was located off Adrian Street, to the north and west of Greenlawn Cemetery, with Bad Creek running the entire length of the park – making a great place for swimming.  Swings, slides, ball diamonds and tennis courts were installed.  A band stand was built where bands played during the summers.  During the winter the area was flooded for ice skating.

However during the 1940’s and early 50’s the park became badly in need of repairs, it had seen much destruction from vandalism.   Parents and village officials realized a new and larger park was needed. Parents organized indoor recreation with games, and other activities supervised by adults to keep them occupied.  For several years Dunbar Brothers, who had a local business in town  gave free use of the upstairs of the Main Street business building.   



Delta Municipal Park


October 1954, during Cliff Segrist’s term as Mayor of Delta,  an option was taken to buy a 23 acre parcel on Taylor Street, from Mrs. Lonie Pray for $10,000.  Fund raisers, donations and a kick-off dinner sponsored by the Aetna Grange, the $10,000., was raised within 10 months.  August 22, 1955 Delta purchased the farm land for our Delta Park. 

January of 1955 Bill Gory, Alfred Reighard, and Carl Bratton met with the Village Council to suggest a pool as the first project.   On February 29, 1956  the H. J. Heinz Company, which had a weighing and receiving station for tomatoes at the corner of Fernwood and Taylor Streets deeded their 2 acre parcel of land to the Village. The land housed a scales, platform, inspection station and loading facilities, and is located next to the 23 acre parcel.  Today this serves as a parking area for those using the park and school activities.  A shelterhouse was later built and serves as a concession stand and restrooms during the football season.  Swimming pool was built in 1958, and opened in 1959 at a cost of just over $75,000.

Eventually the Wildwood  Shelter House was moved to the new Delta Park.

To promote the park, a representative group of citizens was formed, one from each organization and church in and around Delta and was called “Recreation Council”.


Calendar of Sesquicentennial Events

Click Here


Table of Contents Outline



Links to Other Pages




Sesquicentennial Committee Appreciation Page




Early Delta History




Delta Park History


Delta Photos of the Past


1860 Federal Census list for Village of Delta

with other facts and biographical information of the early settlers


Mary Augusta WOOD

First child born in village of Delta


Delta Antique Building Collapses

June 2008



  This Page Was Last Modified Saturday, 13-Apr-2013 11:10:39 MDT
Maintained by Mark Lozer, webmaster.
Send E-mail to: